Thursday, March 15, 2012

thoughts regarding fear, sickness, doubt, and the like

Being in this hospital for some time, I've had a lot of time to think about sickness (haha obviously). All throughout my life, one of my biggest fears has been terminal illnesses. The thought of my family or myself having one scared me so much it would send me into panic attacks. Every little headache, sore throat, or bad feeling was accompanied by chilling fear. God really has a sense of humor, bringing me through facing exactly what I once was afraid of. But I have to say, since diagnosis, I've felt differently. That fear that once gripped me so tightly has truly faded away; because walking through this with Jesus has made it so surprisingly easy. (Matt 11:30)
My findings have been this: sickness is a shadow, fear is a shadow, and doubt is the package they come wrapped inside. (Psalm 23:4) There is nothing big enough to rob you of your joy. I promise you that.
If you have felt this way about sickness, please know you are not alone. The biggest lie of the enemy is that you are the only one feeling that way, but in fact, its the unoriginal devil's same old lie. And it is just a lie. Sickness has NO hold on your life. Isn't that wonderful?

For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2 Tim 1:7)

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. (Josh 1:9)

2 comments:

Cathy Barkell said...

When Rick was diagnosed with his first melanoma at age 24, the uncertainty we described it as knowing there was a storm cloud, but we didn't know how hard it was going to come down, but our faith then & since strengthened our outlook, made us stronger, & offered much appreciation for our blessings. The joy of the Lord has blessed you abundantly, and you are a brilliant reflection to others; Thanks be to God.

teresa said...

Really good news.