Friday, March 5, 2010

what to do (and what NOT to do) when you're sick

This past week, due to the flu, I've had a lot of time to myself.
And in this time, I've realized a few things about being ill.
I realize that whenever I'm sick, I don't do the simple things that could shorten my quarantine time. This week, I decided to write it all down. Partially out of pure boredom, and also because blogs never forget! :)

DO:
get lots of rest. Now, the LAST thing I want to do is sit in bed all day, BUT I guarantee. more sleep=faster healing. rest helps. I promise :)

vitamin c, vitamin c, vitamin c!!! alright, confession. I hate orange juice. I really do. but vitamin c helps fight the nasty flu germs, so I've been guzzling it down. By giving the immune system one of the important nutrients it needs, studies show what vitamin C can often shorten the duration of the cold. and If you don't like orange juice, 1. you are a person after my own heart and 2. try pill supplements instead! :)

drink lots of water!!! enough said. your body desperately needs hydration!

eat something! Most times, when I get sick, I'm not hungry. But its important to try to eat something, even if your stomach says no. try toast, soup, even a fruit smoothie. You want to keep your body nourished so you can regain strength!


DON'T:

go to the store. We all know that its impossible to look decent when you're sick. I tried stopping at walgreens this morning. thought it would be quick. drop in, grab some sudafed, drop out. but to my dismay, I ran into people I know.
"Wow lynds, are you ok? You look awful!"
thanks guys. I appreciate it. bottom line: send dad. send mom. send ANYONE. just don't go yourself. you might scare someone...

drink purple gatorade. I know, I know, electrolytes (found in abundance in a bottle of gatorade) are good. BUT, I don't care what they say. Purple gatorade tastes like cough syrup. believe me. I know. one sip brought a flood of childhood memories of my mom forcing purple goo down my throat to stop my cough. ick. try red, or green, or blue!

avoid the shower: just to be a little considerate to the people around you, take a shower. I know sickness leads to laziness, but don't skip the cleanliness :)

No comments: